Friday, November 11, 2016

Proposal


Inspired by the work that we have done in class, I spoke briefly with Dr. Larson about any concerns he might have with what I am planning on doing with my students.  This is how I started the project.  

I teach a healthcare informatics course at Methodist College.  Each semester, they work on building a specialty clinic or healthcare non-profit as a means of integrating the curriculum into projects they can get their hands on.  I love this project!

One of their final assignments is the submission of a comprehensive portfolio of all of the work they have done during the entirety of the term.  Each member of each group will also be asked to write a (one page maximum) reflection.  All of this content will be build into a Wiki.  

With this assignment on deck and coupled with the fact that I was looking to do something different this term (the portfolios can get bulky), I am going to have the students build their end of term portfolios in a Wiki site. 

I will start the assignment by using Screen Cast-o-matic software to record my working them through an example and then I will turn the work over to them.  

By the time the final report in the assignment is due, I will have been able to see all of the portfolios!

I'm excited to introduce this to my students!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great way to streamline an existing requirement! When I was in my teacher education program the university was just figuring out the process of fazing out physical binders for pre-service portfolios. The group ahead of me had to basically make a giant scrapbook with all of the required materials (they usually ended up looking pretty messy). My group had to make a website with all of our materials. While it was not perfect, and I am sure they have improved the process, I am glad they had us do it. I learned a great deal about file conversion, uploading, and webpage design just from completing my portfolio.

    The groups ahead of me would joke that there was no way they would want a future employer to look at their binders because they were not professional. I actually used my "e-portfolio" in the interviewing process, and my first boss later mentioned that it had impressed her.

    I am excited for you to introduce this to your students too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    I've taught this class this way for four semesters now and the portfolio is loved and hated. Loved because they can see the bulk of the work they have done. Hated because they have to print everything out. While they may get a little salty with me for introducing this Wiki project, I think it will meet their need to conserve paper and also hit the curricular component of portfolio reflection.

    I had to turn in a portfolio when I completed my first master's program--it was one ugly, unwieldy beast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the idea of converting portfolio into a wiki, first of all.
    Secondly, this absolutely does sound like an engaging, rewarding project! Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, this sounds like a great project idea. I will be interested to see other ways to incorporate wikis.

    ReplyDelete